Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

The Importance of Ritual



"I pound my feet strongly on the ground several times, I take several deep breaths, and I "shake" my body to remove any negative energies.  I do this often before going to work, going into meetings, and at the front door before entering my house after a long day.

While we wonder what this person’s co-workers and neighbors think of their shaky acquaintance, such rituals – the symbolic behaviors we perform before, during, and after meaningful event – are surprisingly ubiquitous, across culture and time. Rituals take an extraordinary array of shapes and forms. At times performed in communal or religious settings, at times performed in solitude; at times involving fixed, repeated sequences of actions, at other times not. People engage in rituals with the intention of achieving a wide set of desired outcomes, from reducing their anxiety to boosting their confidence, alleviating their grief to performing well in a competition – or even making it rain."

Read the full article by Francesca Gino and Michael I. Norton
here

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love rituals! and your series for today :) Great finds and groupings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! i think my yoga practice is like one. Its my theme for the week : )

      Delete